Creating an event is a great way to mobilize your community. To do this, you'll need to:
- choose your venue
- draw up an attractive description
- decide whether it's free or paying
- create the registration form(s).
The Yapla platform makes it easy to create an event, then promote it on your social networks and website. And to save you time, it's packed with tools to help you automate the management of your event.
Here's how to set it up in just a few steps.
How to create an event?
Start by going to the Events application in the left-hand column of your Yapla Dashboard. Then click on Events. The page that appears contains an orange Add an event button at the bottom right of the screen. Click on it to start.
Step 1 - Fill in the fields
On the new page that appears, enter your event details:
- Name of the event
- Start date and time: you can also add an end date for the event
- Image, to illustrate the event on your website
- Description for social networks: this short text can be shared by your participants on their social networks, to attract a wider audience. If you don't enter anything in this box, the event title will be displayed, along with the sharing link
- Description: this text will be displayed on your event page
Once these fields have been filled in, click Next.
Step 1.1 - Indicate the location
Fill in the event location and address fields.
- Name of event location: for example, an event could take place in a park or public square. You'll then need to enter the exact address in the next field.
Event address: if it's an online event, click on Online event under the Address field.
- If it's a physical location, enter the full address. If it's listed in Google, you can choose to generate it automatically using Google Maps.
Step 1.2 - Define the event organizer
So that participants can contact you if necessary, you can display the organizer's details on the page dedicated to the event. And if you're organizing your event with an external partner, you can also indicate this at this stage. They will then be copied on certain automatic communications.
Enter the organizer's name. By default, this is your administrator name, but you can enter a different name.
You can also add the organizer's phone number and e-mail address.
Click on Next
Step 2 - Setting Prices
By default, the event is free of charge. However, you can add one or more prices for registrations, by clicking on Add a price.
To find out how to set prices with Yapla, see our help article on the subject.
Then click on Next.
Step 3 - Create a Registration form
You can customize the registration form for your event. Edit the name, add and move fields and add sections as required.
Click on Next
Step 4 - Create a web page for your event
You can generate a unique page for your event, to be displayed on your site. This feature is available to all users, whether or not they have created their website with Yapla.
Choose your event logo, colors and page font. Once you've completed these basic fields, you're done creating your event. You can now view your event's web page.
Step 5 - Promote the event
How to set up an event?
To customize your event, or edit previously recorded information, go to the Events option in the Events feature. Then select the Settings tile.
Advanced description tab
- the thumbnail (miniature for the page with a mosaic of your events). The thumbnail is different from the image showing the details of the event;
- a short description (visible on the page with a mosaic of your events);
- a video, by adding an Iframe code;
- additional descriptions (for use for partners, for example);
- a duration (which replaces the date of your event). This can be useful when your event is postponed to a date you don't yet know. For example, you could write: Date to be determined. It's also an interesting option for events held over a long period, as it allows you to personalize the duration;
- the duration in hours of your event, if required.
In this tab, you can add or edit :
- the physical address of your event, with Google Maps
- the URL of the event, if held online
- indicate the person to contact in the event of questions from participants
- add guest speakers (for example, lecturers)
Registration process tab
The Registration process tab allows you to define whether the number of places is limited, or whether you need to be a member to access the event.
It is also possible to disable the registration process, by unchecking the Allow online registrations box. Your event will remain online, but visitors will not need to register to attend.
To find out more about event registration options, see our help article on the subject.
Terms and conditions tab
In the Terms & Conditions tab, you can specify the procedures to be followed for refunds, cancellations and any other event-related issues. This information is then displayed on the registration form and the participant must confirm their agreement. To find out more about our Terms & Conditions, see our help article on the subject.
Going further: advanced event settings
Now that your event has been created and set up, you can also define a number of specific features. For example, you can set different prices for access to the event, or define a time limit for registrations. You can then set up your communications, so that participants, members and partners receive the emails that concern them.